Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zurich head office is complete
Name legendary CFL coach to lead team
Thunder select a legend to lead the team out of the gates.
[Image: 14.png]May 16th 2017

Prior to the CFA2 inaugural season, Vancouver Thunder management has selected and signed the legendary CFL coach Wally Buono to start the journey with the Thunder. Here is an exerp from the press release discussing Wally Buonos record and legendary career

Pasquale "Wally" Buono[1][2] CM (born February 7, 1950) is the general manager, vice president of football operations, alternate governor and the head coach of the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League, and one of the most successful head coaches in league history. He has spent 22 years as head coach of the Calgary Stampeders and the BC Lions, which is tied for the most seasons coached all-time. On September 19, 2009, Buono became the CFL's all-time winningest coach when his Lions beat the Toronto Argonauts 23–17, giving him 232 regular-season victories, passing Don Matthews.[3] He retired in 2011 with a CFL record 254 regular-season wins as head coach, to focus on duties as general manager for the BC Lions. In 2016, Buono came out of retirement to coach the Lions again through the 2016 season.

Buono's post-season coaching record is 23–17, with five Grey Cup victories in nine appearances. He won the Grey Cup championship in 1992, 1998 and 2001 as head coach of the Stampeders and in 2006 and 2011 as head coach of the Lions. He won the Annis Stukus Trophy as the CFL's Coach of the Year four times, in 1992, 1993, 2006, and 2011, second only to Don Matthews, who had five.[4][5]

When asked about the move to CFA2 and the Thunder, Wally had this to say

" I had to sit down with my family and have a very long discussion about the offer to run the Thunder and the challenges faced by me and my staff with such an undertaking. Ultimately we decided that challenges are what we as a family live by and as loyal British Columbians and Canadians we decided to do this for the fans of vancouver. The thought of taking a raw product and turning it into something great is enough for me"

As a side note we just found out that Wally Buono has hired Henry Burris and Offensive Coordinator, Bobby Jurasin as the Defensive Coordinator and Lui Passaglia as special teams Coordinator. This list of CFL hall of famers and legends is very exciting for sure. How the Zurich Express and Washington Freebirds utilize the talent of the Thunder is yet to be seen,but it is my sincere hope that they are guided and molded extremely well by both Buono and his staff as well as the sponsor organizations.

Jake Park
Vancouver Sun
garrettj1216, Commissioner, vgorilla80 like this post
[Image: zurichexpress_sigplate_angled.png]
[Image: vancouverthunder_tdhelmboilerplate.png]